EUROSTARS Proposal title: Development of an Intelligent decision support System for smArt VITiculture Proposal acronym: DISAVIT Partners: Beia (project coordinator), SOLTEL, Seacon Europe. Duration in months: 36
DISAVIT proposes a novel product for better environmental sustainability addressing a new market featured by emerging technologies. DISAVIT will deliver a LOW COST, EASY TO USE, FAST REACTIVE innovative IoT end-to-end solution for Smart Viticulture covering all phenological stages and most relevant strategical and operational applications for vineyards: plant health, pesticide detection, resources efficiency, grape quality, and maturation and global production. DISAVIT addresses the need of getting a more climate change adapted and resilient farming, promoting the incorporation of better management tools based on objective data-driven decisions at the same time that exploits the opportunities generated by the market of digital services for smart agriculture management stakeholders. The solution aims to improve the decision making, performance and costs of viticulture infrastructures, and enhance interoperability and real-time data accuracy. The goal of the project is the implementation of a decision support system for in-site specific vineyard management based on a cloud IoT end-to-end viticulture solution that will integrate various traditional and novel sensors (weather stations, Very High Resolution satellite (VHR) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), portable biosensors) as well as an advanced analytical engine, including cutting edge approach to artificial intelligence techniques and blockchain technologies, for the processing, modelling and securing of the collected data and their conversion in useful knowledge through the specific intelligent applications. Corresponding web and mobile interfaces for the visualization of results and recommendations by viticulturist will be also generated keeping in mind an easy understanding and usability. Grape growers and wine producer’s needs, requirements and interests will be put at the centre of the development and co-creation approaches will be used for achieving it.
The goal of the project is the implementation of a decision support system for in-site specific vineyard management based on a cloud IoT end-to-end viticulture solution that will integrate various traditional and novel sensors (weather stations, Very High Resolution satellite (VHR) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), portable biosensors) as well as an advanced analytical engine, including cutting edge approach to artificial intelligence techniques and blockchain technologies, for the processing, modelling and securing of the collected data and their conversion in useful knowledge through the specific intelligent applications.
The result consists in the validation of the DISAVIT platform, a technological validation based on the 2 pilots. Validation will include the performance and reliability of all functional aspects of the DISAVIT technology platform.
DISAVIT propune un produs nou pentru o mai bună durabilitate a mediului, care se adresează unei noi piețe prezentate de tehnologiile emergente. DISAVIT va oferi un COST MIC, UȘOR DE UTILIZAT, REACTIV RAPID soluție IoT de la capăt la capăt pentru viticultură inteligentă care acoperă toate etapele fenologice și cele mai relevante aplicații strategice și operaționale pentru podgorii: sănătatea plantelor, detectarea pesticidelor, eficiența resurselor, calitatea strugurilor, și maturizarea și producția globală. DISAVIT abordează necesitatea unei agriculturi mai adaptate și mai rezistente la schimbările climatice, promovând încorporarea unor instrumente de gestionare mai bune bazate pe decizii obiective bazate pe date, în același timp, care exploatează oportunitățile generate de piața serviciilor digitale pentru părțile interesate din managementul agriculturii inteligente. Soluția își propune să îmbunătățească luarea deciziilor, performanța și costurile infrastructurilor viticole și să sporească interoperabilitatea și precizia datelor în timp real. Scopul proiectului este implementarea unui sistem de sprijin al deciziilor pentru gestionarea podgoriilor la fața locului, bazat pe o soluție de viticultură IoT de la capăt la capăt, care va integra diverși senzori tradiționali și noi (stații meteorologice, satelit de înaltă rezoluție (VHR) ) și Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), biosenzori portabili), precum și un motor analitic avansat, incluzând abordare de ultimă oră a tehnicilor de inteligență artificială și tehnologii blockchain, pentru procesarea, modelarea și securizarea datelor colectate și conversia acestora în cunoștințe utile prin aplicațiile inteligente specifice. Interfețele web și mobile corespunzătoare pentru vizualizarea rezultatelor și recomandărilor de către viticultor vor fi, de asemenea, generate ținând cont de o înțelegere ușoară și de utilizare. Nevoile, cerințele și interesele producătorilor de struguri și ale producătorului de vin vor fi puse în centrul dezvoltării, iar abordările de co-creare vor fi utilizate pentru realizarea acestuia.
Obiectiv RO : Scopul proiectului constă în implementarea unui sistem de sprijinire a deciziilor pentru gestionarea podgoriilor la fața locului bazat pe o soluție de viticultură IoT, care va integra diverși senzori tradiționali și noi (stații meteorologice, satelit de înaltă rezoluție (VHR) ) și Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), biosenzori portabili), precum și un motor analitic avansat, incluzând abordare de ultimă oră a tehnicilor de inteligență artificială și tehnologii blockchain, pentru procesarea, modelarea și securizarea datelor colectate și conversia acestora în cunoștințe utile prin aplicațiile inteligente specifice.
Rezultat estimat RO
Rezultatul constă în validarea platformei DISAVIT, o validare tehnologică pe baza celor 2 piloți. Validarea va include performanța și fiabilitatea tuturor aspectelor funcționale ale platformei tehnologice DISAVIT.
The objectives are: O.1. Implementation and integration of a multisensor platform including:
- Weather platform;
- Novel biosensors to determine the health status of the grapes and the presence of pesticides;
- VHR Satellite and UAV imagery for large scale mapping and real-time predictions of vine and grape quality with remote sensing biophysical index and comparative algorithms.
- Soil sensors to track humidity, conductivity and other parameters.
O.2. Development of intelligent modules and software components to establish potential correlations between collected data and other data sets available online O.3 Development and validation of the IoT platform as an intelligent decision support system by transferring knowledge and recommendations to farmers. O.4 Development of Blockchain for traceability of vine products. O.5 Final demonstration in real viticulture
DISAVIT Architecture Platform here.
Project code: EUROSTARS-2019-E!113655-DISAVIT
Contract number: 174/2020
The total value of the budget: 2.043.960,00 Lei
The total value of the contract: 3.003.900,00 Lei
The total value of the co-founding: 959.940,00Lei
The start date of the contract: 01/06/2020
The end date of the contract: 31.05.2023
Contract duration – 36 months
Project TOTAL duration – until 21.05.2026
Coordinator: BEIA CONSULT INTERNATIONAL
Project manager (coordinator): Dr. Eng. George Suciu (firstname.lastname@example.org, 16 Peroni St., Bucharest, Romania, Tel: +40374104901, Fax: +40213323006)
Project Director (SOLTEL): Julio Perez Lopez , Administrator (email@example.com, Seville, Leonardo da Vinci street, no. 13, 4th floor ,zip code 41092)
Project Director (Seacon): Mr. Gábor Berkovich Managing Director (firstname.lastname@example.org, Székesfehérvár, Móricz Zs. u. 14. 8000)Project financed by UEFISCDI through the European and International Cooperation Program[EN]
Phases and activities:
PHASE I – Definition of use cases and requirements – delivery December 2020
● Activity I.1 Defining use cases for intelligent viticulture
● Activity I.2 Defining technical and functional requirements
● Activity I.3 Defining test cases for validation
The main results achieved in Phase I of the project are:
- In this phase – Definition of use cases and requirements, the use case scenarios were defined and described and the competitive and innovative aspects of the DISAVIT solution were highlighted. The requirements and performance indicators for a successful IoT platform have been identified. These requirements for viticulture are the basis of the other stages of the project to implement and validate the case study at the end of the project. Moreover, the legal and technical requirements for the platform and the manufacture of prototypes as well as the demonstration of the pilot scenario were identified and detailed at the beginning of the stage, and a detailed analysis of stakeholders and the market was carried out. As a result, the directions for the development of the monitoring solution chosen for the implementation of the next stages of the project were specified.
PHASE II – Design and development of the prototype platform DISAVIT – teaching December 2021
● Activity II.1 Defining cyber security risks
Activity A2.1 presents the best data security route, consisting in the periodic storage of the values of the monitored parameters regarding the quality of grapes in its own centralized platform based on the concept of Big Data and Cloud Computing. In our case, the information on the quality of the crops is sent periodically according to the changes of the values coming from the parameters, and the platform receives the information through the security mechanisms with the help of a register. To store all this data you also need a timestamp, which is stored in the database and finally anencrypted backup is generated in an external location to save the information in case of unavailability or loss.
● Activity II.2 Defining the Blockchain-based protocol for security
The purpose of Activity A2.2 is to define blockchain protocols for traceability. The use of Blockchain technology in viticulture ensures the storage of data collected throughout the agricultural process (from seed to sale) and transparency for all parties involved. The use of IoT technologies is used more and more often, because it collects information from the vineyards with the help of wireless sensor networks for accurate monitoring of weather, atmospheric and environmental conditions but also for plant monitoring. These things determine the implementation of precision viticulture that exploits the widest range of information available, useful for the traceability of wine crops and products obtained. The focus is on Blockchain technology capable of providing increased security to IoT platforms, ensuring the storage of data collected throughout the agricultural process (from sowing to selling agricultural products) and transparency for all parties involved.
● Activity II.3 Defining the architecture of the DISAVIT platform
Activity A2.3 aimed to define the architecture of the DISAVIT platform. This activity was based on a study of the latest IoT architectures for intelligent viticulture. This new architecture is logically structured on five levels, and in this activity the characteristics, components and functions of each level were highlighted. Finally, the proposed architecture was compared with the most relevant of the studied architectures.
● Activity II.4 Development of hardware and software components of the DISAVIT platform
Activity A2.4 aims at the experimental development of the DISAVIT system (Romania), which involves the development of hardware components, which is preceded by the presentation of the working context, the presentation of hardware specifications, then the testing and individual analysis of their performance.
● Activity II.5 Testing the DISAVIT platform in laboratory conditions
The purpose of Activity A2.5 lies in the in-situ testing of the hardware-software system developed at this stage. The experimental results obtained underline the relevance of the parameters for the DISAVIT project and bring in-depth knowledge about the growing conditions of the wine crops. Based on these parameters, preliminary models can be built to detect various diseases in the vine by integrating all sensors.
In Phase II, the concepts of Internet of Things, Cloud Computing and Big Data were proposed for the definition and development of a platform for intelligent viticulture with performance of data collection from multiple sources, secure storage of this data and processing and analysis. In order to extract information relevant to farmers, in order to prevent pests and improve crop production capacity. The hardware and software components were tested individually and experimental results were obtained that confirm the efficiency and potential of this platform.
Papers and presentations
- Climate Change and Internet of Things Technologies—Sustainable Premises of Extending the Culture of the Amurg Cultivar in Transylvania—A Use Case for Târnave Vineyard, Autori: Veronica Sanda Chedea , Ana-Maria Dragulinescu, Liliana Lucia Tomoiag, Cristina Balaceanu and Maria Lucia Iliescu, publicat 16 Iulie
- Monitoring the Vineyard Health Using Internet of Things Sensors in Smart Agriculture – a Technical Report. Bălăceanu, C., Drăgulinescu, A.-M., Bosoc, S., Orza, O., Suciu, G. (2021) 2021 ”Air and Water – Components of the Environment” Conference Proceedings, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, p. 131-140, DOI: 10.24193/AWC2021_12.
- Development of an Intelligent Decision Support System for Smart Viticulture, C. M. Balaceanu, G. Suciu, C. S. Bosoc, O. Orza, C. Fernandez, Z. Viniczay, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Vol:15, No:1, 2021
Dissemination on Twitter
Phase 3. IMPLEMENTATION AND VALIDATION OF THE PILOT SOLUTION 01/01/2022 – 30/12/2022
Activity 3.1 Establishing the methodology for implementing, testing and validating the pilot solution
For the implementation, testing and validation of the proposed solution within the DISAVIT project, it was necessary to develop a well-defined methodology that would lead to the fulfillment of the project’s objectives. This activity aimed to identify the technologies and hardware devices that will be used in the implementation of the solution in the pilot locations of the project. The resulting solution aims to improve the quality and quantity of grapes by using IoT (Internet of Things) technologies, ML (Machine Learning) algorithms, wireless sensor networks and blockchain.
Activity 3.2 Implementation of the pilot solution
This activity focused on carrying out specific implementation activities related to each pilot as planned. The implementation of the two pilot scenarios for viticulture was carried out in parallel, but interactions were foreseen to learn from the experience of other pilots. Following the installation of the monitoring stations in the pilot locations, two solutions based on AI and ML used in the prediction and detection of livestock diseases were implemented. The first solution is based on the parameters collected from the sensors to make predictions about the occurrence of a disease, and the second solution uses machine learning techniques to analyze the images captured by the drone and provide information about the health conditions of the vine leaf . The second solution focuses on the detection of vine diseases with the help of ML algorithms for analyzing the images captured by the drone. The prediction was made on the basis of the previously described diseases (downy mildew, powdery mildew and gray rot).
Activity 3.3 Testing and validating the pilot solution under real operating conditions
Activity A3.3 consisted in the creation of a validation platform that aims to provide a technological validation based on the evaluation of the two pilot solutions provided. The DISAVIT platform is validated and evaluated according to the procedures and questionnaires to ensure that all the requirements defined in stage 1 are met. This evaluation included: the performance and reliability of all functional aspects of the DISAVIT platform. Also the ICT/software functional requirements include assessment of multi-protocol connectivity capability for an agnostic approach, trust functionalities related to traceability, cyber security and visual analytics asset. The monitoring was carried out over a wine season starting from June 2022 and end in October.
In Stage III, in order to test and validate the solution proposed for the DISAVIT project, a precise methodology was developed through which the technologies and hardware devices that are used in the implementation of the solution in the pilot stations were identified, and this resulting solution has aim to improve the quality and quantity of grapes by using IoT technologies. For the analysis of vine health, solutions based on artificial intelligence and mathematical algorithms were analyzed. The validation platform consisted in evaluating the connectivity capacity characterized by the multi-protocol for an agnostic approach, reliable functionalities related to traceability, cyber security and the visual analytical asset.
Papers and presentations
- Roșcăneanu, R., Streche, R., Osiac, F., Bălăceanu, C., Suciu, G., Drăgulinescu, A.M., Marcu, I. (2022) Detection of Vineyard Diseases Using the Internet of Things Technology and Machine Learning Algorithms. 2022 ”Air and Water – Components of the Environment” Conference Proceedings, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, p. 128- 139, DOI: 10.24193/AWC2022_13.
- CONFERENCE ATOM-N 2022, Advanced precision farming techniques employing WSN and UAV, Roxana Roscaneanu, C. Bălăceanu, R. Streche, F. Osiac, E. Hanganu, I. Marcu, A. Drăgulinescu, G. Suciu Jr.,
- The 10th IEEE International Conference on E-Health and Bioengineering – EHB 2022 Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Iasi, Romania, November 17-18, 2022, Diseases Detection System based on Machine Learning Algorithms and Internet of Things Technology used in Viticulture, Cristina Balaceanu, Robert Streche, Roxana Roscaneanu, Filip Osiac, Oana Orza, Sabina Bosoc and George Suciu
Phase 4. MARKET ORIENTATION AND DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS
01/01/2023 – 31/05/2023
Activity 4.1 Market and business opportunities analysis
This work investigated existing implemented solutions on the market, market requirements, risks and future application areas to identify the main target groups. Detailed studies of the target markets and identification of end-users in that market were also analysed by:
● Obtaining market knowledge through established international contacts that SMEs have;
● Knowledge of competitors in the targeted markets.
Activity 4.2 Definition of business models
In this activity an exploitation plan was made and the business plan and the basis for the internationalisation plan of the product resulting from the DISAVIT project were described. As for the market research, a market study was carried out to understand the starting technologies and possible competitors were identified and compared with the advantages offered by the DISAVIT project over all of them.
A business plan was developed by first conducting a CANVAS and SWOT analysis and then defining the product licensing architecture along with future pricing of each. In conclusion, the foundations of an internationalisation plan are laid based on the identification of key factors and the process to be followed to complete it successfully.
Activity 4.3 Result Dissemination
This dissemination activity included an overview of the project identity design concept and provided the initial DISAVIT dissemination and communication plan, together with the first implemented activities. In terms of communication activities, the main activities and target audiences were identified, while qualitative communication objectives were presented in this report. The most important communication channels, such as the project website, fact sheets, newsletters and event organisation have been listed.
Regarding dissemination activities, the target audience and the main dissemination channels of the project have been identified. The most important dissemination channels were listed, such as publications in scientific journals, participation in conferences and demonstrations at exhibitions and EU events. In addition, the plan for all related activities was reported.
A product strategy to accelerate the market uptake of the DISAVIT project solution was developed in Phase 4, based on the business plan taking into account the requirements of the project consortium partners as well as the national and international market size.
The Intellectual Property Rights are based on a strategy which is an important part of the exploitation plan and which has been addressed in the project meetings held by the consortium partners. Internal results were analysed with the aim of identifying innovative ideas and defining an individual strategy for positioning these ideas in the standardisation and commercialisation processes. Market uptake of the DISAVIT project solution can be facilitated and promoted by the introduction of a plan for exploitation, dissemination and communication of the project results together with a business plan. Also, through the DISAVIT solution, complex measurement and assessment mechanisms become embedded in the water quality management procedure. The DISAVIT solution is a single product or service, but due to the flexibility and openness of the system it can be used in several areas. It is also a scalable and useful solution for further research and development projects.
Papers and presentations
- Air and water conference: Streche, R., Orza, O., Bosoc, S., Osiac, F., Bălăceanu, C., Suciu, G. (2023) Implementing Blockchain Technology in IoT Vineyard Monitoring System. 2023 ”Air and Water – Components of the Environment” Conference Proceedings, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, p. 1-11, DOI: 10.24193/AWC2023_01.
- RALF Romanian Agriculture Leadership Forum, Mai 2023
BEIA participated in the RALF Romanian Agriculture Leadership Forum on 25-26 May 2023 in Bucharest, Romania.
Beia participated in field exhibition; demonstration plots; agricultural machinery demonstrations.
Etape si activitati:
ETAPA I – Definirea cazurilor de utilizare și a cerințelor – predare decembrie 2020
- Activitatea I.1 Definirea cazurilor de utilizare pentru viticultura inteligentăActivitatea I.2 Definirea cerințelor tehnice și funcționaleActivitatea I.3 Definirea cazurilor de testare în vederea validării
RezultateÎn aceasta etapă – Definirea cazurilor de utilizarea și a cerințelor, s-a definit și descris scenariile pentru cazurile de utilizare și s-au pus în evidență aspectele competitive și inovatoare ale soluției DISAVIT. S-au identificat cerințele și indicatorii de performanță pentru o platformă IoT de succes. Aceste cerințe pentru viticultură stau la baza celorlalte etape din cadrul proiectului pentru a implementa și valida la finalul proiectului studiul de caz.
Mai mult, s-au identificat și detaliat la începutul etapei cerințele legale și tehnice pentru platformă și fabricarea prototipurilor precum și demonstrația scenariului pilot, fiind realizată o analiză amănunțită a părților interesate și a pieței. Ca rezultat, s-au specificat direcțiile de dezvoltare a soluției de monitorizare aleasă pentru implementarea etapelor următoare ale proiectului.
ETAPA II – Proiectarea și dezvoltarea platformei prototip DISAVIT– predare decembrie 2021
- Activitatea II.1 Definirea riscurilor de securitate ciberneticăActivitatea II.2 Definirea protocolului bazat pe Blockchain pentru securitateActivitatea II.3 Definirea arhitecturii platformei DISAVITActivitatea II.4 Dezvoltarea componentelor hardware și software ale platformei DISAVITActivitatea II.5 Testarea în condiții de laborator a platformei DISAVIT
ETAPA III: Implementarea și validarea soluției pilot– predare decembrie 2022
- Activitatea III.1 Stabilirea metodologiei de implementare, testare și validare a soluției pilotActivitatea III.2 Implementarea soluției pilotActivitatea III.3 Testarea și validarea soluției pilot în condiții reale de funcționare
ETAPA IV: Orientare spre piață și diseminarea rezultatelor – predare mai 2023
- Activitatea IV.1 Analiza pieței și a oportunităților de businessActivitatea IV.2 Definirea modelelor de businessActivitatea IV.3 Diseminarea rezultatelor
Papers and publications
- Publication ISI la Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology 21, No 2, 471–480 (2020), Assessment of climate change effects on the viticulture using ADON telemetry stations, C. Balaceanu, G. Suciu, M. Balanescu, A. Iosif, M. Dobrea, O. Orza, I. Marcu, published on 12 March 2020
- Development of an intelligent decision support System for Smart Viticulture, C.M. Balaceanu, G. Suciu, C.S. Bosoc, O. Orza, C. Fernandez, Z. Viniczay. The conference will be on January 20 – 21, 2021 in Amsterdam, Olanda. International Conference on Intelligent Agriculture And Artificial Intelligence (https://waset.org/intelligent-agriculture-and-artificial-intelligence-conference)
- Climate change- the ground for improving the cultivated assortment of grapevine varieties with new autochthonous disease tolerant grapevine varieties , Conference: The 8th World Sustainability Forum, ection: VIRTUAL – Food Security and Agriculture, Veronica Sanda Chedea, Cristina Mihaela Balaceanu, Liliana Lucia Tomoiaga, Ionel Zatreanu and Maria Lucia Iliescu, Acknowledgment: DISAVITAdvances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal Vol. 5, No. 5, 1266-1272 (2020), astesj.com, Special Issue on Multidisciplinary Innovation in Engineering Science & Technology:
- Agricultural Data Fusion for SmartAgro Telemetry System, Ioana Marcu,, Ana-Maria Drăgulinescu, Carmen Florea, Cristina Bălăceanu, Marius Alexandru Dobrea, George Suciu, Acknowledgment: DISAVITThe use of IoT sensors in precision agriculture for monitoring the health of the vineyard, Conference: The 56th Croatian & 16th International Symposium on Agriculture, http://www.fazos.unios.hr/sa/index_en.html. The article is accepted and will be presented at the conference between February 14 – 19, 2021, and will be published after the conference.Bălăceanu, C., Drăgulinescu, A.-M., Bosoc, S., Orza, O., Suciu, G. (2021)
- Monitoring the Vineyard Health Using Internet of Things Sensors in Smart Agriculture – a Technical Report. 2021 ”Air and Water – Components of the Environment” Conference Proceedings, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, p. 131-140, DOI: 10.24193/AWC2021_12.
- Debate on air quality monitoring networks in Romania
- CCW Event 2020
- Civic Labs – Environment // Preparation and response in case of earthquake at workplace